Monday, August 30, 2010

Subjective and Objective Claims

A subjective claim is a statement that is almost likely to be an opinion. The slightly different about the subjective claim is based on the person uses of his/her statement because the statement could be either true or false. An objective claim is likely the opposite of the subjective claim, instead opinions it's almost like a fact.

Here is an example of a subjective claim. Yesterday, my three cousins and I went out to the play basketball at a school nearby. Only one of cousin had a car so we carpool with him. On the way there I turned on the radio, about a minute into the song that was playing on the radio, one of my cousin that was siting back seat interrupts me. He said, "This is song suck so bad". This claim that my cousin made was a subjective claim because it was his personal belief and feelings toward the song. I guess he didn't like that types of music because my other two cousin and I didn't find the song to be bad at all.

This is an example of an objective claim. About a week ago, I went to see an eye doctor or an optometrist. After the optometrist finish the check ups with me he said, "Your right eye is a lazy eye". At first I didn't know what it mean but after he ran another test with me I noticed it. During the test, the optometrist cover my left eye I could barely read the letters off the board. When he cover my right eye I could see the letters. I noticed that my left eye's vision is much better than my right. This is an objective claim because it's like a fact, it doesn't matter about my opinion or anyone else.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I think you used a good example for your subjective claim. I hear my friends say "This song sucks" all the time. It their opinions that make it subjective. I play my iPod while I drive and my friends would always change the song to a song that is usually old or played out. My friends and I have different taste in music so we disagree a lot. Your example of the objective claim was also interesting. When the doctor said you had a lazy eye it was factual. It wasn't your or doctors opinion it was fact.

    I think the Lakers and Heat will be a great match up this year but I think the Celtics will be contenders again because they stocked up in a lot of good but old talent this offseason.

    ReplyDelete