Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Content Fallacies: Appeal to Emotion

Fallacies is used almost in every bad argument. There are lots of arguments that are fallacy in everyday life. The argument is a fallacy when none of the premises support the conclusion and whether the premise is dubious or implausible. The fallacy that stand out the most to me is the appeal to emotion. This fallacy tries to convince other with words that involves their emotions. Most people that use this fallacy are those that tries to persuades other, sell things people,or scam others.. For instance, a few week ago, I asked my friend about the a video game he played and he responded, “After you play this game, you will probably play it over again. It so fun”. He was really excited when we talk about the game then shows me reviews and game-play of the game to persuade me to play it. My friend kept bragging about until I played it. When I actually played the video game I was disappointed because it wasn't what I had expected and half of the stuff he said about the game wasn't even in there. It was like he lied to me to play the game.
This example is a appeal to emotion fallacy because my friend put his feeling into the argument to convince me into believing him.

3 comments:

  1. I liked your post on appeal to emotion. It is common for people to persuade you in an item or food especially if they are your friends. I liked your example on how your friend convinced you this game is great to play. However, you realized that the game your friend kept bragging about was not a great game to play after all. It is hard to say no to a friend when they put a lot of feeling into their argument if you are uncertain about something. I remember when my friend convinced me that his diet plan was fun and easy to do. In the end, it was not fun because his diet plan was not my style and I ended up binged eating. Good job on this fallacy post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your example and explanation of appealing emotions in a fallacy. After learning about appealing emotions, it's amazing to see how many people actually try to make a good argument, but in reality their only support is their emotional or personal point of view. I have experienced many cases where friends, family members, or just random people have tried to make a solid argument but in fact were just making an argument based on what they personally felt.
    It's simple to see that your friend was trying to get you to play this game because he personally thought that the game was amazing and worth playing. However, he was not able to use solid evidence to prove to you that the game was as good as he was making it sound. So when you played it and found that it wasn't as great as he was saying, it only shows that he was trying to persuade you with appeal to emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the type of fallacy you used. I see appeals to emotions all the time. Many people try to convince others in to doing something because they think it's really cool even though its not. I see this type of fallacy in the television ads especially the old Billy May's ads and how they try to convince you in to buying something that really doesn't work. I also see people in the mall using this fallacy especially the people working in the stands. One of the things I saw at the mall is when this guy tried forcing my cousin to try some product that he wasn't interested in.

    ReplyDelete