Saturday, October 9, 2010

Counter-Arguments

In chapter 7, I found that counter-arguments to be quite amusing. The counter in counter-argument is pretty much as it’s stated. Meaning that it’s somewhat against an argument but not exactly. According to chapter 7 of Epstein it explains that in order to confirm that an argument might be bad is by raising objections. By raising objections , it can bring out the dubious premises in the arguments to prove that an argument is weak.

Here is an example between my dad and my little brother a few years ago.
Brother: You should buy me a Wii for my next birthday.
Dad: Why should I? you already have a PS3. (Objection)
Brother: But the new Super Smash Bros. games on the Wii that coming out.
Dad: Buying another game console plus the video game will cost too much money! (Objection)
Brother: It’s shouldn’t cost that much; it’s cheaper than the PS3 and you can move around more playing the Wii. I could also chip in some of my money.
Brother: It’s cheaper on sale during the holidays.

In this example my dad raised objections because he wanted to know why he should buy my brother a Wii. Without raising any objections this example probably would not make that much of an argument.

1 comment:

  1. good example it described the lesson well. This actually sounds like something that happened at my house :) I used to work at gamestop ad my sister begged to have me buy her a wii only she didn't have a strong argument as to why she should have it or deserve it.. She had a bunch of other consoles and never used them! But she ended up getting it, playing the mario game(s) afew times and then sold it! Upset, but eh. Lol, good post!

    ReplyDelete