Friday, October 1, 2010

Inferring and Implying

I found section E in chapter 5 of Epstein to be very amusing. Inferring and Implying is often use almost everyday in everyone lives. It sometime can be confusing because people often get the two of them mixed up. Implying is a statement that is similar to suggesting it leaves a conclusion unsaid. While inferring is when you interpret or decide that the claim is the conclusion.
Here is an example: My cousin came over my house a few days ago and saw my sister singing karaoke. He asked her if she was practicing singing. Although he did not said that she needed practice singing, he was implying to her that her singing was awful.
Here is another example: My brother says, “it was like a bear with white and black furs”. I could infer that my brother was describing or taking about a panda.
Implying and inferring are often used everyday during conversations without us even noticing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment