Friday, November 5, 2010

Calls in Your Debts Appeals

I found the “calls in your debts appeals” concept amusing while reading chapter ten of Epstein. According to Epstein, the definition states, “You should believe or do something if you owe someone a favor”. This concept is often used without us noticing it; usually we don't pay attention to it. Here is an example that happened to me last week. My three cousins and I were playing a first person shooter video game; the game mode was team death match, where as two people team up against the other two. So I team up with my younger cousin and his older brother said, “How could you team up with him and not me? Remember that one time where I helped you with your math homework?” In this example, my cousin, the one who said that, was trying to make me feel guilty to get me into his team. In other words it's like making someone doing you a favor by using guilt towards them.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the "calls in your debts" appeals occurs more often then we notice. I feel that usually when this appeal occurs only because one person does not feel that they are in debt and they want to feel burden-free. They do not want to feel guilty or have the other person use it against them. I am sure your cousin jokingly made that comment about helping you with your homework but that made you feel bad if you did not team up with him. The concept calls in your debt appeals makes a person feel responsible for returning a favor although it may not always be required.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea i totally agree, this happens all the time. Specially at home but also at work. Sometimes when people ask me to cover their shift, before i can answer they start saying "remember when...." and that way i cant say no which sucks cause then i have to or i am more likely to return the favor since they are trying to make me feel guilty. But your example hit the nail right on the head. this concept makes one feel, like chubbydreams says, responsible for returning a favor.. this is a great example and a great blog. you explain what this kind of appeal is very well...

    ReplyDelete