Friday, November 12, 2010

Reasoning by Examples and Reasoning by Criteria


I find the reasoning by example and reasoning by criteria to be really useful and amusing. Reasoning by example is usually used when giving evidence into your argument.  This is pretty common in most of the conversation we often have when explaining to others. For example, when my friend and I were talking about TV shows, and I said, “Hey you should watch this show. My cousin told me, he watches this show yesterday and says it was hilarious”. In this example I show evidence to support my previous premise; this type of reasoning often works really well for convincing others.  For reasoning by criteria, it’s about assumption.  Instead of saying something straightforward such as, “Get this one!”  It should be something with more reasoning to it. For instance, a better version of the example above should be like this:  “I think he want something looks cool. How about this one” 
Which is much reasonable that the example before it.

4 comments:

  1. Hey!
    I also found reasoning by example and criteria assuming and interesting. People use reasoning by examples everyday to back up their argument and statement they are trying to make valid. Your example about watching the tv show because our friends cousin said it was hilarious is a good example of this reasoning. Your friend gave a reason why you needed to watch it and gave his cousin as an example. And as for your example foe reasoning by criteria, that was also a great example. Rather than going straight to the point and being vague in saying "Get this one!" it's more reasonable to place some criteria into the statement to make it easier to find a gift for someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found reasoning by example to be interesting but confusing at the same time. I mean at first I couldn't understand what reasoning by example was. It was like I had I couldn't think of any examples for these type of analogy. Then I thought it's so simple because people always try to make a point by reasoning with by example to make their argument valid. Like for instance I always use reasoning by example and use other people by example to prove my point. You should specify the name of the show that was hilarious that way your example look more valid. But nice job explaining reasoning by example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, great post! Dang, we all seemed to have written about the same thing here. I also found reasoning by example confusing yet at the same time it was also interesting. Like mr. hulk over here said, it also took me a long time to think up an example for this term but it was my favorite. You however, had a great set of examples this is clearly something any of us could encounter on a casual day while watching tv so it was clear to picture something similar to this in my day to day routine.
    But yea, great post again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really like reasoning by examples and reasoning by criteria. I find that I tend to use this often myself just because it is easier to persuade people into doing certain things by doing so. It's funny knowing about this concept of reasoning because you start to notice other people using it without realizing what they are doing. I really like your examples that you gave to describe both the reasoning by examples and reasoning by criteria. They both really explain the two different types of reasoning in a simple way. Also, your descriptions really make the definitions of these two types of reasoning really simple and clear.

    ReplyDelete